BlackBerry Key2 includes a physical keyboard under an 11.5-centimeter screen and operates with an Android operating system. It is the updated version of the first BB Key released last year. The Chinese manufacturer TCL communication who have the rights to the smartphone brand from Canadian tech firm from 2016.
Under the contract between these two companies, Canada’s BB will remain in control of software and security on smartphones, TCL will produce handsets powered by Google Android software, discarding the previous BlackBerry OS software.
Although there are many different smartphones for consumers to choose from today, most tend to offer very similar experiences without much distinction from one to the next,” said Alain Lejeune, head of TCL’s BlackBerry Mobile division.
He also said:
With the introduction of BlackBerry Key2, we’ve created a distinct smartphone that captures all the traits that have made BlackBerry smartphones iconic, while introducing new innovations and experiences that not only make this one of the best devices for security and privacy, but also the most advanced smartphone ever.
Blackberry Key2 specs and features:
- The Key2 has a bigger screen than its previous versions. The “forehead” of the phone is now 25% smaller which makes edge to edge display.
- The phone comes in two colors, Black and Silver.
- There are two options for data storage: 64-GB or 128-GB. Previous Phone Key1 has the option of 32-GB and 64-GB.
- There’s a new key on the keyboard, called the “Speed Key”, which is positioned next to the symbol button. The Speed Key is a shortcut key that helps to quickly switch to a different app.
- The BlackBerry Key2 runs Android 8.1 Oreo.
- The phone has a 12-megapixel dual camera back camera. It has a portrait mode, optical zoom, and multi-frame capture. An 8-megapixel camera on the front, phone’s screen can be used as selfie flash.
- It has an aluminum casing and a soft touch back, which ought to make it easier to hold.
- It comes with a “Charge less and Does more” objective. The company says that the phone can be used more than 2 days without charging it.
- According to this review, The camera also has built-in Google Lens, which means you can useGoogle’s visual search enginewithout having to download a different application.
- There is a built-in privacy feature which has enhanced the security of the smartphone. An apps DTEK alerts the user if any apprehensive activity happens.
The Blackberry Key2 will be available for pre-order in seven countries including the US starting by the end of this month and price will start at $649. The BlackBerry Key2 will be available worldwide in July.